Thursday, May 19, 2011

Do The Work!


First, let me preface this by saying that I love helping other writers, because I believe God wants me to be unselfish with whatever knowledge I’ve gained. But since I’ve experienced a modicum of success with e-publishing, I’ve noticed a disturbing trend among some aspiring authors.

What boggles my mind is the number of people who so easily call themselves writers, but ask questions like “Can you tell me how to publish my book on Kindle?”

Ahh … no. How about going to Amazon and finding out yourself? 

They don’t want to do that, because they think it will take too much time. They want someone to take them by the hand and walk them through it. Sure, I could do that, but why should I? If you call yourself a writer, you need to learn how to do research for yourself. And if you intend to be in this business for the long haul, you must be prepared to put in long hours and do a great deal of research. 

Self-publishing is an incredibly time intensive, and those who intend to venture into this brave new world had better be ready to work like Kunta. Everyone has the right to ask for help, but there is something to be said for doing the work yourself. It teaches you how to go about finding the resources you will repeatedly need in the future.

Recently there have been some p-book authors who have publicly questioned why anyone would want to take on the enormous job of self-publishing. They are so firmly entrenched in the land of traditional publishing, they can’t imagine being the author, the publisher, the publicist and the marketing department all rolled into one.  My answer to them is the long hours and energy I put into my business are certainly worth the 70% royalties I receive. 

Self-publishing electronically is NOT for the faint of heart or the slothful.