Monday, May 9, 2011

E-book Promotion from the "Kindle King"

On Saturday Joe Konrath posted a nine-pages blog entry about what works when promoting e-books.  http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-works-promo-for-ebooks.html

Unbeknownst to Joe, he is my e-publishing mentor. I've been a faithful reader of his blog for years and never miss an installment. As always, his observations are keen and he gets them across with his quirky brand of humor. He made several statements in this entry that made a real impression on me. Here's what he said about:

Sales fluctuations.  "What is your best seller this month may drop off next month and may again be your best seller two years from now. Ebooks are forever, and forever is a long time for a book tofind its audience. Don't sweat it. Don't panic. This is like surfing. Waves may die, but new waves always come along."

Practice Makes Perfect. "But the majority of my job has always been promoting my worki, not the writing itself. It wasn't unusual (and still isn't) for me to work 60 hours a week."

Social Network.  "But remember it is about what you have to offer, not what you have to sell."

"...no one likes being sold. Especially hard sells, repeated again and again and again."

"When you use Twitter or Facebook, make sure links to your books are vastly out outnumbered by content. Content, as you know, is information and entertainment, not spam."

"Building relationships online is about what you have to offer, not what you have to sell."

Advertising. "I'm not paying $500, let alone $5,000 for intangible effects. I get plenty of intangible effects on my own, for free."

THE BOTTOM LINE

"I was able to improve my odds by being a good writer, being prolific, being professional and learning a lot about writing and promotion."

"You want the real secret for success? Work your #@* off until you succeed, no matter how long it takes."

This detailed entry made me feel good about how I've been promoting but also spurred me to concentrate more on sharing information other writers need. I have always admired Joe Konrath, and my admiration has grown yet again.

Thanks, Joe!

No comments: