Friday, August 26, 2011

I love my readers!

This morning I received an e-mail from a reader I had to share (with her permission, of course.)

As an indie author, I am so thankful that I am able to market my books however I see fit. They aren't segregated in the African-American ghetto in the brick and mortar bookstores. As a result, I'd venture to say that the majority of my readers are not African-American. One thing I really appreciate about readers of indie books is they read what they want to read. It doesn't seem to matter what the race of the author is or the race of the characters in a story. They're just looking for a good read at a good price.

Here's the message:

Ms. Brown,

I bought Hot Fun for Kindle because it has a good review and was cheap! When I started reading it, I realized that it was about black characters and I thought I wouldn't be able to get into it or enjoy it at all. I was SO wrong!

I am a very white, Mid-Western, woman. I live in an all-white town, never have had a relationship with any black people and graduated from an all-white school in Iowa and both my colleges were 99% white. You can see why I felt out of my comfort zone. There were a lot of things in the first book that I had to just figure out from context, but that wasn't a distraction and it never hurt the flow of the story. As soon as I finished the book, I immediately bought Hollywood Swinging and have just finished it. Loved the second book, too and hope you continue those character's stories in another book." - reader Vicki M.

Thanks for your honesty and your support, Vicki. I love being an indie author!

12 comments:

PatriciaW said...

I'm not sure it gets better than that! Congrats, Chicki.

Chicki said...

As more black authors move into indie publishing, we'll be able to reach readers we never could before. It's eliminating the obstacles we've had in the past with the traditional model. Hallelujah!

Alisha said...

What a wonderful letter, Chicki! Congrats! I look forward to reading your books too. Been dying to in fact. I need a break from werewolves for a while and I just keep hearing good things about your books. I plan on playing the music just before I read..lol..I know it will help to set the mood. :)

Chicki said...

Thanks for stopping by, Alisha. Yeah, come out of paranormal land for a while! If you want a romance, read HAVE YOU SEEN HER? HOT FUN and HOLLYWOOD are more women's fiction and the new book is a faith-based romance.

Dana Taylor said...

Hi Chicki--

Isn't great how the Internet is bringing past racial boundaries? People are people! But, I know what she means. I was raised in a White bubble also. So. Cal. was surprisingly segregated with unwritten laws. It was only when I moved to OK and the races intermingled in malls & churches that I actually made black friends. I had been missing out! Congrats on the wonderful feedback!
Dana

Chicki said...

It's amazing how much we can learn with a little exposure, isn't it, Dana?

It's funny, but I thought it would've been the other way around with Cali and Oklahoma!

Dee said...

I get so sick and tired of hearing how certain readers can't understand our style of writing, nor will our stories be acceptable outside our community. This reader's comment proves if you write a good story it will be read by all. Congratulation for writing stories which are so inspiring. Keep up the good work.

Chicki said...

A lot of that is thanks to the media, Dee. Many people outside of our community believe we all speak in ebonics, have no male role models in our families/neighborhoods, are angry, viscious and hateful, because that's what's portrayed to them by the media.

It reminds me of Oprah, who seemed to believe that all teens drink and drug, have sex with multiple partners, have eating and other emotional disorders, due to the fact that these were the kinds of kids her staff got to come on the show. She never saw any of the normal, decent kids. They weren't "interesting." She used to make me so angry when she'd say, "Parents, if you think your teens aren't doing this, they are!" I love Oprah, but those were the days I wanted to clock her.

We only know what we're exposed to or what we choose to go outside of our own box to learn.

H.F. "Pete" Grimm III said...

You gotta love it when a reader hits you right from the heart. Good writing finds universal themes, has universal appeal. Congrats, Chicki!
Cheers,
Pete

Chicki said...

You are so right, certain themes are universal. The literary world, particularly the romance community, has been so polarized. I hope indie e-publishing will erase that separation.

Ednah Walters said...

I agree with Patricia. It doesn't get better than this.

Monique DeVere said...

What super-cool feedback, Chicki!! I agree with her--you do tell fab, entertaining stories. :)

Hugs,
Monique
Author of humorous, feel-good romance