Friday, September 30, 2011

Fun Friday Dedication

Yesterday I read a great blog entry by my cyber-mentor, Joe Konrath in which he compared the predictions he made in 2009 on the future of publishing with the current reality. I love Joe, because since I started reading his blog back in 2007, he's had his finger on the pulse of this business.

 
His entry got me thinking about the people who seem to be launching an offensive against electronic reading. As I've said in previous posts, these are the folks I like to call the "cold, dead handers." The proudly and vehemently proclaim the someone will have to pry their paper books from their cold, dead hands before the succumb to reading their beloved books on an electronic device. What amazes me is many of the ones screaming the loudest are half my age.



Even though I am a "woman of a certain age," I am a lover of all things electronic. I love change, progress, and anything that makes life easier.


In my mind, it's simply more practical and easier to carry one device containing all my books than being able to carry only one or two books with me. The ability to switch over to a dictionary or thesaurus when I'm reading and run across a word I don't know just geeks me out. And when I'm in the middle of something that just doesn't get my motor running, I can click over to a more interesting or exciting story. In my opinion, this is a reader's dream.



On top of those perks, in general the cost of e-books is lower than hardcover editions
and the price of the devices themselves is decreasing by the month. This week Amazon introduced their new $199 tablet and two new Kindles priced at $79 and $149.

I dedicate this post to the paper people who refuse to move into the future. They are in good company with these visionaries of the past.

  • At the turn of the 20th century, carmakers produced only four million automobiles because the experts believed the world would eventually run out of chauffeurs.
  • Lord Kelvin, president of the Royal Society, made the bold pronouncement that radio had no future in 1894.
  • Mark Twain refused to invest in Alexander Graham Bell's telephone because he didn't see a use for it.
  • Thomas Watson, the President of IBM, once said the future world would need "maybe only five computers."
  • And in 1899, the director of the United States patent office told President McKinley, "everything that can be invented has already been invented."
(from http://www.lightsource.com/devotionals/seniors)


This weekend I am reading both Vivid by Beverly Jenkins and The Help by Kathryn Stockett on my Kindle. Waiting in the wings are The Temptation of a Good Man by Delaney Diamond, How to Get Out of Your Own Way by Tyrese Gibson, Red Mojo Mama by Kathy Lynn Hall, Crossing Over by Jennifer Coissiere and many more.



1 comment:

Delaney Diamond said...

Thanks for mentioning The Temptation of a Good Man, Chicki!

Like you, I'm often surprised by the negativity directed at ebooks. I suspect the majority of these people haven't experienced ereading or truly evaluated the benefits of ereaders and ebooks.
It's an emotional response, but there are more converts everyday.

I, myself, am looking forward to the arrival of my pre-ordered Kindle Fire. Can't wait!