Monday, October 10, 2011

Progress Report


Back in the olden days when I was in school, I used to hate when the time came for progress reports to go out. Even though I was an honor roll student, I always had the feeling there was something I didn’t know that my teachers were just itching to tell my parents.

Now that I write my own progress reports, so to speak, I rather enjoy them. Right now I am revising my upcoming winter 2011 release, Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing. This book was the second manuscript I ever wrote back in 2002. The Real Thing is the sequel to Lyrics, my first manuscript and the book of my heart. It tells the story of an interracial couple who are faced with a devastating event that could destroy their marriage. The story has nothing to do with race. Instead it focuses on the issue of fidelity.

Going in I knew revising the story would be a lot of work, but I had no idea the first three chapters were going to be so hard.
I had included way to much backstory. Once I started the revisions a few weeks ago, I was horrified that I had tried to retell the entire story of Lyrics in the first forty-five pages of the sequel! Of course, I need to let the readers know who the characters are and what their history is, but not by giving a major information dump in the first two chapters. I worked on the first three chapters for two weeks and think I’ve finally gotten them worked out.

TRT will be the last of my previously written manuscripts I plan to publish for a while. I still have Reasons, a story I wrote back in 2005 about Jan, Verna, Noreen and Kathy, four friends that each have to make a major life decision.

Recently the idea came to me to break this manuscript into separate shorts to publish individually on Kindle Singles. I have already taken part Jan’s story and used it in Hollywood Swinging. The rest of her story, which is a May/December romance, is now titled, You Make Me Feel Brand New, and is going to be included in an anthology being put together by WG2E, the Writer’s Guide to e-Publishing. The anthology will be published in February 2012.

My last remaining unpublished manuscript is Between Sisters, a story loosely based on my sister and myself. That story wandered like a Hebrew in the wilderness. It went too long and needs to be cut about 35-40 pages. Not a job I feel like doing any time soon. Maybe I’ll revise it … someday.

Sixteen months ago I decided to self-publish all of my novels on Kindle and Nook before I wrote anything new. After almost a year and half later, I can’t take it anymore. I am just sick and tired of revising. The next project will be a completely new story that I’ll start from scratch, and I can’t wait to start!

9 comments:

Regina Duke said...

You are a busy woman! I am also focusing on writing at the moment. The last several weeks were given over to learning how to guest blog, setting them up, doing them, keeping up with lists, etc. Now, time to write! :-)
Great progress report!

J.D. Faver said...

Congratulations, Chicki! I think I'm following in your footsteps as far as the indie publishing of completed novels. I agree, you get to a point when you just have to turn your back and write new words. Keep 'em coming.
~J.D.

Chicki said...

Regina, I was writing for ten years before I made the decision to e-publish, so I had a stash of manuscripts sitting on my hard drive crying for a home.

June, I can't wait to get to that point. Right now I'm getting my winter release ready to go to my editor, but I have a great idea for a new story. :)

bettye griffin said...

I was in revision hell with a previously published manuscript that I needed to adapt to current tastes. I moved up the first love scene to earlier in the story and unwittingly changed the dynamics of the whole thing. I don't regret doing it, but I wasn't prepared to do all that work. I put it on hiatus and am instead finishing up a new project. The lesson I learned from this is that I should start re-releasing my more recent books in eBook format; the newer the project, the less work it will require!

Chicki said...

That's exactly what I did, Bettye. All I have left now are the older ones, and I'm not mentally geared up to handle those! LOL!

New story, here I come ...

Suma Subramaniam said...

Good luck with the revisions Chicki. Nice to meet you on twitter!

Chicki said...

Thank you, Suma. And thanks for stopping by.

Chanta said...

Chicki,

I decided to self-publish a year ago (after a bad experience with a publisher) and I've never looked back. There's nothing better than being in control of your own writing, your own royalties, and your own promotion. I self-pubbed four novels so far and it's all been worth the journey. Good luck!

Chanta Rand
Author of Signs of Love
www.ChantaRand.com

Chicki said...

Good for you, Chanta! You're so right. I just thumb my nose at those who look down theirs at indie authors ...