Friday, January 27, 2012

Fun Friday!

I’ve spent the past eighteen months concentrating on getting five of the eight manuscripts I’d written in the past nine years onto Kindle and Nook. As I’ve mentioned in previous entries, this process has been exciting, exhausting, challenging and frustrating. Looking back to 2010, I now realize I made a major mistake I made during this time. Because I was so determined to get all five books uploaded, I didn’t consider how much work marketing five books would turn out to be. I’ve mentioned this in previous entries, so I’ll spare you the rehash. The bottom line is - I haven’t written anything in a year.

A whole year.

This is the biggest mistake I’ve made in my publishing journey thus far. These books were released only a few months apart, and as a result, I found myself completely overwhelmed by the marketing and promoting.

Now that Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing, the fifth book, released on January 2, I am finally back to having fun again! This week I spent a couple of days at my favorite writing spot, Atlanta Bread Company where I started outlining the next book and doing research.


 I am so excited!

The hero of this book is Vaughn Breland. If you read Hollywood Swinging, you’ll remember him as Devon’s buddy, the gorgeous, narcissistic player that even Devon thinks suffers from sexual addiction.


(In real life, that's former New Orleans Saint, Darren Sharper, in case you're wondering. Pretty, isn't he? Look at those dimples ...)

This book is going to be a “taming of the playboy” story. I plan to take Vaughn so far out of his comfort zone, it will take a very special woman to bring him back.

Doing research for my books is one of the best parts of the process. Without giving any major spoilers, last week I researched:

Telluride, Colorado

Lamborghini Murcielago


the Santa Ana winds

orthopedic surgery

physical therapy


and downtown Los Angeles high-rise apartments.


Of course, more research will be done as the story unfolds, but I needed to do that much to get Chapter One written.

Now I just need to come up with a working title. In keeping with my brand, I found about ten old school song titles that might work, but I'm leaning toward Ain't Too Proud to Beg by the Temptations. It speaks of the complete turnaround Vaughn has to make to go from being a Hollywood player who's never begged a woman for anything to a man who is hopelessly in love.


Being able to start writing again is wonderful! I’m my happiest when I’m creating a story. So, if you see me, and I’m wearing a dopey smile, you’ll know why!
Have a fantastic weekend!

9 comments:

Angelia... said...

Nice! Write on!

~ said...

Press on Chicki! I love reading about your journey.

Zee Monodee said...

Hmmm, that dopey smile is the best! So craving to join you in loony land too :)

And that Lamborghini looks like a Transformer!

Sharon Cunningham Cooper said...

Ooh, I CAN'T WAIT to read Vaughn's story!!!! I'm sure it's going to be juicy. Though I didn't really picture him to look like Darren Sharper...I'n reminded of how FINE the brother is! Lol!

BTW, like the working title!

Enjoy the researching and writing...but can you hurry up and finish the book? I'm looking forward to it!

Pamelaknb said...

I was so shocked when you said who that picture was and that he's a real person??? I thought he HAD to be a figment of our imagination. You never know what's under those helmets huh?

Chicki said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

Zee, yes it does look like a Transformer, but the yellow Lamborghini was made popular in Chris Brown's song, Look at Me Now.

Glad you like the working, title Sharon. My only concern is that the title of my last book started with "Ain't." I guess it doesn't matter much, though. The titles of my first three books all started with the letter H. LOL!

No, Pamela, he is not a figment of your imagination! Remember, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson used to be under one of those helmets too ...

PatriciaW said...

Sounds like a great read, Chicki. Take your time...but hurry!

Regina Duke said...

Chicki, I totally agree about the joy of writing! I am also writing, and I agree that marketing takes a lot of work. LOL! I'm so happy you are creating again, and I can't wait ! You picked a lovely face for your main character. Dimples indeed! What a cutie!

Liane Spicer said...

Glad you're back at the source, Chicki. The marketing is a killer.