Monday, January 30, 2012

Amazon KDP Select



Since it seems like every indie author is talking about his/her experience with this new program from Amazon.com, I figured I’d do the same.


Dictionary.com defines the adjective "select" as: chosen in preference to another or others. In case you haven’t heard about KDP Select, here’s a short description from this excellent blog entry. If you’re considering signing your book/s up, I strongly encourage you to read the entire post.

Back in December, I put all of my books on sale for 99 cents in anticipating of raising the prices back to $2.99 and keeping them there once KDP Select began. I chose my first novel, Have You Seen Her? as my initial Select offering and signed it up to run from January 2nd to March 30th. I picked Friday, January 6 as the first free day.


To most traditional authors, it seems like insanity to give your books away, but I, like most indie authors, saw this as a unique way to get my books to be chosen in preference to another or others and into the hands of new readers with the power of Amazon advertising behind me. Amazon advertised the book from 6 AM until midnight, and I also posted announcements on Facebook, Twitter and all the online groups to which I belong.

As I watched the numbers update in real time in my KDP reports, I was astounded by the results. When I woke up on Saturday morning, 10,316 people in the U.S. had downloaded the book. It had 485 downloads in the UK, 6 on Amazon DE (Germany) and 2 on Amazon FR (France). What truly amazed me was now that the free offer had ended, the paid buys (at $2.99) were starting to roll in. As the weeks passed, the sales have slowed, but the paid sales numbers as of this morning were US - 1,223 UK - 55 Other foreign stores - 7. My other books also sold 118 copies.

In addition, the book has had 303 borrows by Prime members. Last month Amazon paid authors $1.70 for each borrow based on $500,000 in the “pot.” An additional $200,000 was added for January, so participating authors are splitting $700,000.

God only knows how long this program will continue or maintain popularity among readers, but my intention is to remove the current book and enroll another one every 90 days. Since I have five novels, by the time I finish offering them all, I will have written a new book!

I know there are a lot of Amazon haters out there, but all I can say to them is, “Hate on,” because as they say on the commercials for that other giant, “I’m loving it!”

16 comments:

Cherri Galbiati said...

Great results on your work! I've always loved Amazon and its creativity with getting shelf exposure to everyone across the board. I, too, participated in the KDP Select with and will continue to do so.

Yeah, "I'm lovin' it!"

Cherri

~ said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing your results.

PatriciaW said...

Congrats, Chicki! It helps authors to see real examples of program experiences. Glad it's working for you.

mgmillerbooks said...

Thanks for sharing your results, Chicki!

Delaney Diamond said...

Those are great results, Chicki, and I suspect you'll see steady sales over time as those who downloaded the free book get around to reading it and then to buying it.

Thanks for sharing your numbers.

Chicki said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies! I've already had a couple of reviews and a few Facebook messages from readers who got the book free and loved it. Readers who take the time to send a message are the ones who will definitely try another of my titles. This is fun, and it's so easy ...

Regina Duke said...

Hi, Chicki! I followed your lead and enrolled in KDP Select. I just came off two free days, and my results were very similar to yours (11,711 downloads, even one in France!)

I am now getting a sales bump! I'm thrilled. I plan to do another free day with a previous publication soon after my new novel goes live.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful. Your success has inspired me!

Miss Crystal said...

Go, Regina! Isn't this fun? :)

Chicki said...

Regina, that last comment was from me, but my daughter was still signed in on my computer ...

zellus said...

Your a genious Chicki! THANK YOU, this helps SO much!!!

Z. Stefani

Chicki said...

Glad I could help, Z!

Pete Grimm said...

I'm really happy for you, Chicki! I'll have to follow in your footsteps when I can find the time.
Cheers,
Pete

Karen McFarland said...

Hey there Chicki!

What amazing results. Thank you for sharing them. As a new writer it always helps to see how others are doing, although it's hard to know exactly what to expect.

I am busting out of my small circle and trying to visit other bloggers and hoping to make new friends. It was nice to meet you Chicki and I hope to see you soon! :)

Chicki said...

Pete, enrolling in KDP only takes a five minutes, but you do need to promote your free days online.

Karen, thanks for visiting. It's great to "see" new faces around here!

Sheila Deeth said...

Wow! What great results!