Friday, March 9, 2012

Fun Friday????

My critsister, Zee Monodee inspired me to write this entry. Today she talks about the progress she is (or isn't) making on her current project.

On January 27th, I posted about beginning a new work in progress. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get started. But something happened on the way to "Once upon a time" ...

Family obligations have created a major distraction. I won't go into detail here, because I don't want to sound as if I'm placing blame. Stuff happens. We all know that. Yet, how does an author prevent the stuff from screwing with their creativity?

On President's Day, I finally bought a laptop. For the past few years, other than my desktop PC, my writing has been done on an AlphaSmart word processor, which is wonderful for text input.

                            
                  (New model)                                    (my Alphie that I got for $60 from eBay)

Unfortunately, I spend as much time or more in the editing/revision phase as I do when actually writing. You can't edit on an AlphaSmart. That meant, in the past, when I had to edit my manuscripts, I was chained to my PC. Buying the laptop has eliminated this issue, only the lovely laptop has Windows 7 and Word 2010. My PC has Vista and Word 2003, and the adjustment has been aggravating, to say the least. I've spent more time trying to figure out the simple things I could do automatically in the old version of Word.  Another distraction.

All that being said, I'm only three chapters into Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Disappointing progress for more than a month's worth of work. At least my outline is expanding as ideas come to me about what's going to happen to Vaughn and Trenyce, and I've found some more pictures of Vaughn (Darren Sharper) that express his personality perfectly. 

              

This is how I envision Trenyce and her daughter, Nala. I chose Beverly Bond, the founder of Black Girls Rock


and this little punkin. Look at that face. It's enough to melt the hardest heart.


Well, it's a gray, rainy day here in Atlanta, and I've already gone through the 106 messages in my inbox this morning, checked my Facebook messages, and have chosen to skip Twitter completely. Maybe I'll get Chapter Three finished today ...

11 comments:

Zee Monodee said...

Keep at it, Chicki! The only way to get more words on the page is to sit at the screen and type, type, type (...I better heed my own words...)

XOXO

Jackie Holness said...

Keep at it:)

Chicki said...

I'm doing my best, ladies, but it seems that I spend more time in the car than I do in front of my computer ...

Sharon Cunningham Cooper said...

Ahh, the Alpha Smart...though I love mines (and still use it sometime), the laptop is usually what I pick up first.

As for your WIP - I feel your pain. But knowing you, I'm sure you're going to get on a roll, and its going to all come together! I can't wait to read Vaughn's story!

Hang in there, and know that you're not alone! :)

~ said...

An Alphasmart?? Never heard of it. Congrats on the new laptop purchase!!! And yes - that transition of figuring out where (and why) they hid the simplest functions is QUITE frustrating! But you will be on your way soon!

Chicki said...

That's right, Sharon. You have an AlphaSmart too. Mine has served me well, but now it's going to just be my backup.

Kimberly, I've never been a technophobe, but the other day that thing had me ready to slam it against the wall. I've been relying on my grandchildren to school me, and that's just pitiful...

Candace Shaw said...

I've thought about getting an alpha smart at one point but I need to see the whole screen. I go back and edit too much. On another note, Darren Sharper is so fine!

teamoyeniyi.com said...

Listen, fellow-writer, if you go around staring at pictures like THAT, I'm not at all surprised you never get any writing done! I wouldn't either.

All jokes aside, yes, stuff happens. I write around the noise of 4 teenagers and a husband (cuter that the pictures above). You have my sympathy. My first draft was supposed to be finished February, now I am sure I will get it finished this month, so I suppose one month behind schedule is not too bad. Is it?

Regina Duke said...

Oh, I loved my AlphaSmart! When I had a desktop PC I also used an AS for my "laptop." Then I got a MacBook. But I still miss that light weight little AS, it's snappy key feel, and how I ended up writing more than I expected every time because the window was so small. LOL!

Great blog, as usual, Chicki, and oh my, I love the photos you've chosen for your characters! Hmmmm...I'm going to do that on my next book. :-)

Miss Crystal said...

Teamoyeniyi - Darren Sharper is a football player here. I think he should've been an actor or a model. :)

If you're self-publishing your book, it doesn't matter when you release it. LOL!

Regina - It's necessary for me to have photos of my characters before I can write. I'm sending you an e-mail about that.

Chicki said...

Sorry about that, ladies. My daughter never signs out when she uses my computer ...