Monday, October 1, 2012

Author Spotlight - Regina Duke

Today, the author spotlight is shining on author Regina Duke, one of my tweethearts, a faithful Twitter friend.

Regina Duke has been writing stories and novels since she was thirteen. Throughout her career in higher education, she continued to write, write, write, on weekends, nights, and vacations. When she’s not writing, she is playing with her dogs. She loves writing romance, mystery, and even a little horror and science fiction. You can learn more about her at http://www.reginaduke.com.

The Wedding Wager

Kevin Wake hates being rich. He despises everything his father stands for, but he can’t abandon his kid sister and baby brother. Their future is tied to his own. When his father threatens to rob them all of their mother’s legacy, Kevin takes bold action to protect what should be theirs.

Megan Mully is out of the hospital at last. But she’s homeless, jobless, broke and alone. Love is the last thing on her mind. Kevin is just a means to an end. She never expected him to steal her heart!

Excerpt:
 
“Look, Megan, I think you have a real chance at this job. There are some aspects of it that I need to explain before you make your final decision. Are you an open-minded person?”

“That depends. If you are the head of a secret cult, then no, I’m probably not open-minded enough for you. If you’re a legitimate employer, then yes, I may fit the bill.”

“Oh, this is a legitimate offer of employment. But the duties may vary a bit from what most people consider appropriate for a personal secretary.”

This time it was Megan who slumped in her chair. “Please don’t tell me you’re just looking for a date or a masseuse.”

“No, that’s not it at all.” Kevin liked Megan more and more, every time she opened her mouth. She was funny and direct and fresh. She was perfect. Now if only he could convince her to take the job.

“There’s nothing sexual or inappropriate involved in this position at all. It’s just not exactly a secretarial position in the traditional sense. You see, I need someone who can listen when I talk and retain information about my family and my business interests. I need someone who can comport themselves with dignity and composure in social situations. I need someone who doesn’t hate small boys.”

It was Megan’s turn to laugh. “That’s a good one. Fairly specific, too.”

Kevin offered a crooked smile. “I have a little brother.”

“What else do you need?” Megan was enjoying the way his face shifted from sternly serious to truly amused. When he was stern he looked like he might be thirty-something, but when he smiled, she guessed his age to be close to hers. And when he laughed, he looked like a little boy. It was an attractive mix.

Kevin hesitated. Twice he’d gotten this far, and twice the candidates had stomped out in fury. He chose his words carefully. He did not want Megan to hurl epithets and flee.

“I have a complicated family situation,” he began. “My parents are not in Guatemala. They are very much here in the States. And there is a hundred-year-old legal arrangement governing my inheritance. I need your help to guarantee that I meet those legal requirements. In exchange, I will pay you handsomely, cover all housing and transportation, and when everything is secure, there will be a large bonus in it for you.”

Megan tilted her head to one side and narrowed her gaze. “Are you sure there’s no sex involved?”

“I’ve had a legal contract drawn up for you examine, if we get that far. The no sex part is written into the contract. You will not be forced or coerced to do anything you do not want to do.”

“You were right. It’s not what I would expect from a job as personal secretary.” She tilted her head to the other side. “On the other hand, if you have lawyers involved, the chances of you being a serial killer are much reduced. They tend to work alone.”

Kevin smiled again. “We seem to have a rapport,” he said. “That is encouraging.”
 
###

THE WEDDING WAGER available at 
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094KFI7W

5 comments:

Regina Duke said...

Good morning, Chicki! Thanks for having me! I just got back from a dog show, so I am a little groggy this morning. LOL! It's a pleasure to share my book with your regulars, especially since I am such a fan of your own books. :-)

Have a great Monday!

Denise Turney said...

Love your book cover. Interesting plot with the couple not looking for what they find in each other.

Keep writing!

Denise

Regina Duke said...

Thank you, Denise! I have a lot of help with my covers. A wonderful talented lady and best-selling author in her own right, Sandra Edwards does my covers for me. I am not very gifted in that arena, but she is! :-)

Ednah Walters said...

This sounds like a fun read, Reigina. Can't wait to check it out. My next book is about an arrangement similar to yours, except it involves marriage. Love the cover too.

Dorcas Graham said...

Oooh...this sounds like a good one! I look forward to reading this!