Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sample Sunday!

Today I'm venturing back into the Sample Sunday soup with my brand new release, Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Here's a brief blurb about the book:

Vaughn Breland has never been one to let a woman tell him what to do. When he finds himself at the mercy of beautiful physical therapist, Trenyce Clark, he has to decide what’s most important–recovering from his near-fatal car accident or maintaining his macho image.

In this sample, physical therpist Trenyce Clark finds out about her new patient.

***

“Good morning, Doctor. Your assistant isn’t at her desk.”

“Good morning,” he said, looking up from the computer screen. “She’s not here yet. Come in and have a seat.”

I did as he asked, folded my hands in my lap, and waited for him to speak.

“We have a patient that’s going to need extensive rehabilitation.” He went on to explain the patient’s injuries.

“Sounds as though he’s fortunate to have survived.”

“That’s exactly what I told him, but he’s not feeling very thankful at the moment.”

“Why not?”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about before you meet him. He’s despondent because he’s fearful his injuries might’ve ruined his career.”

“What is he, a ballet dancer?” I snickered.

“No, he’s an actor. In fact, you might know of him. His name is Vaughn Breland, and from what the nursing staff tells me, he’s a Hollywood hottie.”

My jaw dropped, and I blinked at the thoughts rushing through my mind. Ever since I’d started reading that new romance novel, I had pictured the hero as looking exactly like Vaughn Breland. “Are you sure? I’m sorry, Doctor, that sounded disrespectful. I didn’t mean it that way. Yes, I do know of him. In fact, my best friend and I just watched his last movie the other night. What in the world is he doing in Telluride? The film festival’s been over for months.”

“He said he was on his way to visit a friend who lives in town.” Dr. Liu slid the file across his desk. “Here’s a hard copy of his chart.”

For the next several minutes, I thumbed through the papers, shaking my head. “He sustained these injuries and isn’t grateful? What is he, crazy?”

Dr. Liu chuckled. “No, just a bit vain, I’m afraid and probably somewhat depressed. In addition to the fractured hip and legs, his face was also damaged, which could very well sound the death knell for his acting career.”

“Oh... That’s terrible. He’s such a gorgeous man.” My gaze jerked up to meet Dr. Liu’s. “Sorry.  I didn’t mean to say that out loud.”

He laughed again then quickly sobered. “Since the hospital considers Mr. Breland a VIP, your complete confidentiality is expected.

“Of course. I understand.”

“So, are you ready to meet our illustrious visitor this afternoon?”

“Sure,” I said, thankful I didn’t have to go immediately. At least I’d be able to fix my hat-flattened hair, reapply my lipstick, and add a little blush. After all, with the exception of spotting Tom Cruise in the lobby of Aemono a couple of years ago, this was my first time meeting a Hollywood star.

Don’t be ridiculous, Trenyce. Your looks are the last thing on this guy’s mind. He’s worried about his own.

Kindle - http://amzn.to/TNCAuW & Kobo - http://bit.ly/UrtUqi & Nook - http://bit.ly/RYhlIB

No comments: