Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Writer Wednesday - Tools

Since I started writing in 2001, I have created my manuscripts in Microsoft Word. As a former administrative assistant who came up using WordPerfect, I was thrilled when Microsoft released the first version of Word, and I use Word to this day. It's the best word processing program out there. All of my manuscripts have been created in Word
 
Even though I love technology, it isn’t in my nature to immediately embrace new programs until I’ve heard a good number of people endorsing them. So when I first started hearing buzz about Scrivener, a software program that makes the creation of a manuscript easier, I intentionally ignored the hoopla. A few months ago, someone posted this video on Facebook, and after I watched it, I was sold. If you’re a writer, and you’re not aware of Scrivener, you don’t know what you’re missing! It’s an all-inclusive writing program you can buy for forty dollars that makes it possible to have everything pertaining to your project in one place.
 
 

I downloaded Scrivener to my laptop, and last week, I spent time fooling around with it. Once I felt comfortable with it, I imported the manuscript for A Woman's Worth, added all of my character photos, the storyboard, story notes and research documents into the program.

No more switching back and forth from Word to Excel, Google, Wikipedia, Dictionary/Thesaurus.com, Brainy Quotes, etc., every time you need to look up something. I can click into any of my documents on the left side of the screen.
 
So far, I’m loving it!

If you’d like more information on Scrivener here are two good articles:
 
http://writerunboxed.com/2011/08/31/test-driving-scrivener-software-for-writers/

http://www.rubyslipperedsisterhood.com/using-scrivener-for-plotting/

Scrivener site:


 

8 comments:

saraphen said...

I'll have to check it out.

PatriciaW said...

Glad it worked out for you, Chicki.

bettye griffin said...

I LOVE this software! I just wish the Windows version would catch up with the Mac, which has more features. But all in good time, I suppose.

Monique DeVere said...

Hi, Chicki,

I tried Scrivener twice, and never got on with it. Not sure why, but you have me thinking of pulling it out, dusting it off and giving it another chance...

Sharon Cunningham Cooper said...

Hmm...looks interesting. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon Cunningham Cooper said...

Hmm...looks interesting. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Julie Merrin said...

I purchased Scrivener a couple weeks ago and played around with it a bit. When I( start my next writing project, I'll pull it out again. I think it will be really helpful.

George Hamilton said...

I've also tried Scrivener, but so far, it hasn't rang my bells, especially as I am able to convert from a Word doc created with styles to a Kindle file in under an hour now. I'll take a look at it and another program yWriter5 again soon. Although at the moment I am satisfied with using Word, and Excel to track my scenes, and recently I've been playing around with OneNote to store my research.