Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Till You Come Back to Me Tuesday

It's been quite a while since I posted anything about writing, so today I want to share the process I've begun for Till You Come Back to Me, the second book in my Stafford brothers series.




If you've read A Woman's Worth, you read the opening chapter to this, Charles' story, at the end. That first chapter has already changed. I needed to come up with a source of external conflict. What I've decided to do is make Adanna's brother that source.

This book takes place in Las Vegas, Atlanta and Nigeria, so I have been spending a lot of time researching general, cultural and medical information about Nigeria. Recently, I was blessed to receive a Twitter message from an author of Nigerian heritage living in Great Britain. She has been an incredible help by telling me about tribal differences in that country. The last thing I want to do is write something crazy that people who know about Nigeria would read and say, "Oh, that's wrong!"


The other areas I've had to research are the work Charles will be doing, specifically helping Marc bring in business for his personal training business and also the work he'll be doing with Doctors Without Borders. DWB is an incredible organization that provides medical services to people all over the world.



So, basically I've been making notes, watching videos and working on the timeline for the story. Right now I'm almost finished with Chapter Two and have Chapter Three outlined. Charles and Adanna won't actually meet until Chapter Four, but she does get a "glimpse" of him in Chapter One. I think it will work. 

As usual, my title came from an old school R&B song by the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.

                                       

On my way to the coffeehouse to get my write on...
  

2 comments:

Courtney Heard said...

I'm going to have to get to reading your books!

Chicki Brown said...

Thanks, Courtney! You have eight to choose from. :)