Sunday, January 5, 2014

Goals, resolutions, decisions, oh, my!


Happy New Year, everyone! Welcome to my first blog entry of 2014.


Since just about every author in blogosphere is talking about their goals and plans for this New Year, I figured I’d do the same. This year I only have one goal. I know that sounds peculiar, but I’ve learned a lot about myself during 2013. I’ll share those things in a moment, but my one goal is this – to work in a way that is pleasing to me and doesn’t cause me undue stress.

If you are a borderline Type A personality like me, you tend to put more pressure on yourself than is necessary. Often I hear writers saying they have trouble getting started working. I have trouble stopping, and that's not a good thing. When I set a release date, and I’ve announced it to readers, I HATE having to change it because I couldn’t meet my own deadlines. That has only happened once, but it was totally embarrassing.
 
 
Part of this decision involves my self-imposed work schedule. In three and a half years I’ve released eight books, and between writing, revisions, editing, marketing/promotion, and necessary social networking, etc., I have usually worked seven days a week. Most of those seven days, hubby has been asleep for hours, yet I’m still sitting up in bed on the laptop until I’m so tired my eyes just close of their own accord. Don’t get me wrong, I could write (create) every day of my life, but most this isn’t even writing. So, during the Christmas holiday, when I didn’t feel like working, I didn’t. Then I caught some kind of bug from one of the grandkids on Christmas Day. Since I wasn’t feeling up to par, I slacked off my author responsibilities.  To tell you the truth, I kind of enjoyed staying in bed and reading someone else’s fiction. Any multi-published author will tell you that you CAN get sick of reading your own stuff over and over and over…
 
 
I realize that easing up on my work ethic will most likely result in my becoming less productive, but then again it might result in my becoming more productive because I’ll be in better condition mentally and physically. In September I released the first book in my Stafford brothers series. Right now I am halfway through the second book. Unrelated to this series, there are two novels and two novellas in the dusty archives of my hard drive that I wrote years ago begging to be resurrected.

We’ll see what happens….

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

So glad you're feeling better! My mom use to say, if you don't slow down your body will slow you down.Congratulations on deciding to pump the breaks a tad, for a Creataholic that's a huge goal. Happy New Year!

Zee Monodee said...

So know what you mean, Chicki. In my 9 years of being in the writing/publishing industry, I took a 5-day break for the first time this year between Jan 1-5. Cannot tell you how much good this has done me, and now I see the future clearer and know I must carve out some space for myself. I matter more than anything, because, without me, there wouldn't be any written word on any of my stories.
It's the same for you, I know.

Happy New Year!

Chicki Brown said...

You ladies are so right! It took me almost four years to figure that out. :)

Raynetta J Stocks said...

I'm still figuring this out lol! I'm a 7-days-a-week worker, too, and it's hard to stop. I keep telling myself that I need more time between books, especially while writing a series. And it doesn't seem to matter how much time I put between them, I always feel like I'm running out. But I am working REST and FREE TIME into my schedule this year. Fantastic post!

Chicki Brown said...

I'm with you, Ray. It seems as though always running behind is just part of my process...