Sunday, May 25, 2014

Creativity...


I am always amazed at how the creative process works. It's different for each person and often works different at times within the same person.

One thing always seems to happen to me when I start a new book. I can be making notes or outlining the new story, and suddenly a title, idea, plot points or characters will come to me for other books. At first I ignored those thoughts, because I considered them distractions to keep me from concentrating on my current project. Now, I realize every single one of these little interruptions are gifts. When we receive a gift, it's up to us to decide when we choose to open it. The mistake I made in the past was to stop what I was doing to open the package -- bad move considering I have the attention span of a gnat.

What I've learned to do now is accept the gift, maybe make a quick note to two on the thought or idea and file it away on my computer to be unwrapped in the future. I knew there would be six books in the Stafford Brothers series, but I didn't have any titles of future releases. The first three books feature three of the four single brothers, and they are romances. What I didn't know was how I might handle Vic and Jesse's stories since they are already married.

As you've probably noticed, the titles of my books come from old school R&B songs.
A few days ago, I heard a song on the radio, one I've heard hundreds of times, and Vic's story started downloading into my head. Here it is, the 1973 hit by Johnny Taylor. 

Poor Vic...



No comments: