Monday, November 17, 2014

What I love to read

Last Friday I finished a book by one of my favorite authors, Beverly Jenkins (http://www.beverlyjenkins.net). It's the third installment in her Destiny series that features the Yates family, and it was wonderful. If you enjoy historical romance, Destiny's Captive is a must read!


Whenever I finish one book, I go directly to the To Be Read folder I've set up on my Kindle and chose my next read. In the past ten years, I've met hundreds of authors through in person and online contact, and even though I'd love to, it's impossible to read all of them.

One of my author buddies I was anxious to read was Delaney Diamond  (http://www.delaneydiamond.com). We met at a Georgia Romance Writers meeting and have had lunch together. I picked her book Unforgettable, as my next choice. 

This book has a sexy hero and an independent, smart heroine facing a personal dilemma that relates to family. I'm only 35% into the story so far, but as I read, I realized that beyond my love of romance I really adore stories about families. Unforgettable is the first book in Delaney's Johnson Family series, and I already know that she has me locked in to buy the other books.


The family dynamic always fascinates me, and as an author, it provides additional opportunity for drama besides that between the hero and heroine. People are the product of their environment, and a character's family life can make a story so much more interesting.

I'm having a ball writing Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, Book Three in my Stafford brothers series (https://www.facebook.com/StaffordBrothersNovels). I love this family. In this book, readers will meet Greg, the brother with an embarrassing problem.  

As I get ready for the holidays and prepare to have our extended crew for Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share these quotes with you...

Happy or unhappy, families are all mysterious. We have only to imagine how differently we would be described - and will be, after our deaths - by each of the family members who believe they know us.


A family is a place where principles are hammered and honed on the anvil of everyday living.


No comments: