Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Discovering new authors

Since my reading time is so much more restricted that it was when I worked a job, I been very judicious about what books I buy. When I took public transportation, I used to read on the way to work. After I bought a car, that had to stop. LOL!


When I did switchboard relief for the company's receptionist, I read while I was on the board. No matter where I worked, I always read read during my lunch hour. 

Once I started writing, my reading time got relegated to evenings before I went to sleep, but that wasn’t enough time for me. My daughter bought me a Kindle about four years ago, and I realized I could take my books anywhere, so I started reading whenever I was standing in line in the store or bank, waiting at the doctor/dentist. Now I have a deal with my husband that when we go out he drives and I read, which is just fine with him, because he can’t stand me talking all the time anyway. 


All that being said, my reading time was so limited, I had to concentrate on new releases from my favorite authors – Dame Beverly Jenkins, J. R. Ward, Suzanne Brockmann, Eric Jerome Dickey, and Lisa Kleypas.

In the past couple of years, I’ve discovered many amazing indie authors, and I’ve enjoyed reading their work. But once in a while you run across a new author who speaks to you. For me that author is Nia Forrester

The first book I read by her was The Seduction of Dylan Acosta, and I was immediately hooked. I don’t know what it is about her writing, but she has an amazing knack for putting her finger on the pulse of whatever she’s writing about – whether it’s baseball, the music industry, or the “sugar baby” life. By the time I finished the second book, I knew I had no choice but to devour everything on her back list (the same thing I did with Beverly Jenkins. LOL!) So far, I’ve read eight of her novels, and I can’t get enough!

Ms. Forrester is gifted at tapping into the emotions of her characters in such a way that it brings me to tears or laughter. She writes very masculine men, which I love. I know beta males are sweet and sensitive, but when I read, I want a story about a man who’s tough enough to handle himself out in the world yet gentle enough to treat his woman right. There have been a couple of her characters that I must admit I didn’t like at the start of the book, but by the end of the story, I was rooting for them all the way.

If you like contemporary romance with excellent writing, fascinating plots, hot love scenes and characters you’ll feel as though you know personally by The End, check out Nia Forrester’s books. These are the ones I’ve read so far…








3 comments:

NiaForrester said...

Are you kidding me???! I am so flattered! I love your writing as well, and of course, coming from another author, this is such an incredible compliment. Thank you so much, Chicki.

Chicki Brown said...

You deserve it, Nia. As far as I'm concerned, you are The Woman!

Marcia Matthews said...

Chicki thank you for introducing the writings of Nia Forrester to me last year. I am loving her work. You always recommend wonderful authors.