Wednesday, August 12, 2015

WIP Wednesday

Since this is WIP Wednesday in some author groups, and I've posted this elsewhere, I figured I'd also share it here. This is an UNEDITED excerpt from my WIP, I'M LOSING YOU. Vic has problems...


******

When Cydney, Jesse’s wife, answered the door of the expansive brick house and let him in, Jesse was seated at the dining room table. Most of the time he and his brother sat outside on the deck overlooking the pool, but the early-August Atlanta weather was so stifling the air felt like breathing steam. Their relationship had always been easy. Until Greg was born, it had been just the two of them, and being two years apart, they had attended the same schools and worked together for a while in their father’s practice years ago. Until recently he and Jesse were the only brothers who were married.

Two plates covered with plastic wrap, two tall glasses filled with ice and a pitcher sat in the center of the table. He took a seat, and Jesse slid one of the plates in his direction. “Nothing fancy, man. It’s only turkey sandwiches, some leftover potato salad Cyd made on Sunday and sweet tea.”

“I love Cyd’s potato salad. Where is she anyway?”

“Upstairs washing the girls’ hair. That’s a real project, so we won’t see her for a while.”

Both men unwrapped the plates, bowed their heads and offered a silent blessing. Jesse filled both glasses with tea then leaned back in his chair and studied his older brother. 

“What’s on your mind?”

Vic bit into his sandwich and chewed, giving himself time to think of how to finally reveal to Jesse what was going on in his home. “Last night,” he began slowly. “I got home after eleven, and the house was dark. In my gut I had a feeling something wasn’t right. Mona had mentioned a fundraising meeting, but when she goes to those things, she’s always home by nine o’clock.” He stopped and took a couple of forks of potato salad.

“Maybe they just ran late. Why’re you making a big deal of it?”

“This isn’t the first time it’s happened, and she was wearing a little short dress like she was going out for the drinks not a meeting.” Vic drew a long breath. “And she’d been drinking.”

“Hey, you know the ladies get their drink on sometimes,” Jesse continued, playing devil’s advocate.

“I know, but she and Daphine work in the same groups, and Marv said she was home last night.”

Jesse leaned forward and his olive gaze zeroed in on Vic. “What are you saying, man? Do you think Mona is creepin’ on you?”

“I don’t know what I think. She’s been so cold lately. I tried to talk to her when she finally came in, but she refused.”

His brother stroked his unshaven chin. “The family has noticed a difference in her lately, but Mona’s always been devoted to you, man. I can’t believe she’d do that.”

“Yeah, well I don’t want to believe it either, but she’s been staying out later after every meeting. Trey and Julian spend more time with Mama and Maite than they do with their mother.”

“Does she have any new friends?”

“If she does, she hasn’t mentioned them to me.”

“I hate to say this, but if you really think she’s hiding something, you can always have her followed.”

Vic grimaced at the suggestion. “We’ve always trusted each other. That’s kind of hitting below the belt, don’t you think?”

“Has she given you any other choice?”

He shook his head. “I know I’ve been busy since I took this job, but she seemed to be as happy as I was about it…at the beginning. All she does now is to complain about my hours and how she’s tired of being alone.”

“And you think she’s not alone anymore.” Jesse phrased it as a statement not a question.
Vic nodded.

“Then you need to be sure of what she’s up to before you confront her.” Jesse rose from the table. “I’ll be right back.”

Now that he was alone, Vic dropped his head into his hands and groaned. All of the time he was in medical school, during his internship and residency, Mona had been right beside him. Now, when they had everything they had dreamed of back then, she’d left his side, and he didn’t think he could survive without her.

Jesse returned and handed him a business card. “This is the firm I used when we had that loss problem at Dad’s practice. They do business and personal investigations, and they were excellent. I got to know the owner pretty well. You can tell him I sent you.”

For a few moments, Vic stared down at the card then he slipped it into his pocket. “I need to think about this before I do anything.” He let out a rush of air that sounded as though he dreaded his next step. “It’s time for me to go home. Tell Cyd I said hi and thanks for lunch.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quite like looking through a post that will make men and women think.
Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

My page: site ()

Anonymous said...

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and
also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one
today.

My homepage plus d'abonné