Friday, February 5, 2016

What do I miss?

                              

This week I had a conversation with one of my author buddies in which she told me that she never takes a lunch break. She works in downtown Atlanta not too far from where I used to work. Her reasoning is if she works through her lunch hour, she can get off sooner.

Our chat got me thinking about what I miss (and don't miss) about working. 
These are things I miss about being downtown every day...

  • Sitting in Olympic Park and enjoying the fountain music show while I ate my lunch and read a book...

 

  • Friday lunch on Broad Street when the restaurants and cafes closed off the street and set tables up outside...

                                              
  • People watching in CNN Center...

 

  • Stores (even though there aren't a lot of stores in that area) One of my faves was the magazine/book store in the Equitable building

 

  • One of my favorite memories was standing outside on line to buy one of those "blessed brownies" from Sister Callie at the Heavenly Father's, Jesus' and Our Bake Shop formerly on Marietta Street. That woman's baked goods were so awesome, customers didn't even mind being preached to while they were being served! 

 

I realized that everything I miss about working has nothing to do with work. I couldn't wait to get out of the office, because the interesting stuff wasn't inside. It was outside. 

There were a LOT of things I despised about working, but these two top the list:
  • Living in cubicle prison...



And the commute into town from the south side of the metro...


Even though there are many things I miss about working downtown, I'd still rather be self-employed...

5 comments:

Chelle Ramsey said...

Okay, okay...just rub it in why don't you? I used to do those things when I enjoyed my job and the people on it. Now that I no longer enjoy any aspect of this all I want to do is go home.

Chicki Brown said...

Oh, I'm feeling you, girl. That's one of the reasons I spent every chance I got outside of the office. I had to get away from those folks! Even now I need the buzz of having people around while I work, and I guess that's why I do better working in the coffee houses. They're just not as nice as CNN Center or Centennial Park...

Debra Benson said...

Those are some lovely pictures of the surroundings you had, the Olympic Park with music and CNN Center and all. I would miss those things too. I like the outdoors as well...

Chicki Brown said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Debra! Yes, that side of downtown is really beautiful, but I could only do Centennial Park in the spring or fall. Since most of the park is brick and there are no big shade trees, sitting out there in the summer is like voluntarily putting yourself in an over. :)

Stella Eromonsere-Ajanaku said...

Great post and photos, Chicki. I'm also self employed now as well. I don't miss the train commute - too packed and stuffy.

I miss some of the people I worked with, their smiles, learning about what goes on in people's lives etc.

I don't miss the WORK itself.