Thursday, April 28, 2016

Book Six...

I love starting to write a new book. Even though this is the final book in my Stafford Brothers series, I'm excited about INNER CITY BLUES, Jesse Stafford's story. Jesse is an oncology surgeon who works with his father in his practice. He's been married for six years to the former Cydney Nelson, whom he met when she worked in the records department at one of the hospitals. 

I used actor Jesse Williams as the character model for Jesse, and I merged some of what I've read about his personal life as a community activist and some of the character he plays on Grey's Anatomy as Dr. Jackson Avery.



I chose actress Nia Long as Cydney because of her down-to-earth personality and her appeal as the "girl next door."

They have three small children and are living the life made possible by his professional success.


Jesse's book will be a bit different from the others, because it deals with a serious subject, the shooting of an unarmed thirteen-year-old boy in the neighborhood where his wife, Cydney grew up. Yes, this is a fictional account, but I've taken some of the details from real accounts in other parts of the nation.

Of all the brothers, Jesse is the most active in the community, only it's not the community in which he lives, but the one in which he works. He volunteers at a neighborhood free clinic and speaks to elementary school children on Career Day at every school in what used to be known as the Bankhead area of Atlanta. He knows the people and their problems first-hand, and after the shooting, he participates in the protests. An incident in the opening chapter puts Jesse in a situation that puts his and Cydney's comfortable lifestyle in jeopardy.

As always, when I start a new book, I create a collage of characters and ideas for the story.



Today the meter looks like this: 


As time goes on, I'll be sharing excerpts from the book here on Sample Sundays and optimistically aiming for an October release.

7 comments:

Jackie H. said...

Cute photos :)

Sharon Williams said...

I can't wait

Sharon Williams said...

I can't wait

SHARYN GRAY said...

love the collages, the visuals make the story pop out. Can't wait for Oct.

Chicki Brown said...

Thank you, ladies! I have to see my characters before I can write them. :)

Marcia Vaughan Matthews said...

As always I am literally counting the days until this book is released. Chicki Brown always leaves you wanting more. October is looking very far off at this point. It has been a wonderful journey with the Stafford Brothers. I hate to see it end.


Marcia Vaughan Matthews said...

As always I am literally counting the days until this book is released. Chicki Brown always leaves you wanting more. October is looking very far off at this point. It has been a wonderful journey with the Stafford Brothers. I hate to see it end.