Thursday, August 11, 2016

Heading home...

We had a wonderful stay in Panama City Beach this week. I didn't get as much writing done as I'd hoped, but it was still productive.

We stayed overnight in Eufaula, Alabama and had two hours to waste before we could check into the hotel, so we decided to tour the town and do research for my next series. First I went to the Old Fairview Cemetery. I want to use this as a spot where my heroine goes when she wants to be alone or read.

Next we drove around the old downtown where I want my heroine's quaint bookstore to be. 

Lastly, we went to the Shorter Mansion where Sweet Home Alabama was filmed. It's an incredible house built in 1870 which is now owned by the Eufaula Heritage Association, serves as a museum and a rental facility for weddings, etc.

The tour guide was an avid reader and had her Kindle with her, because she reads in between giving tours of the house. She said they will sell books featuring Eufaula at the mansion, so of course I'm thinking about that!










When we arrived in Panama City Beach, Florida, it looked like this... 


But within 24 hours, it deteriorated...


Strong thunderstorms kept waking me up one night, but every time I woke up and remembered where I was, I just smiled and went back to sleep. The rain arrived on Monday, so I went to Office Depot and printed out a hard copy of the chapter I finished. Personally, I think I jinxed the city by hoping it would keep on raining, so I wouldn't want to go out and do anything. It's been raining ever since. It was great writing weather, though because I was working with this view...


The rain turned into a monsoon, and they posted flash flooding and possible evacuation warning in outlying areas. I didn't matter to me, but I felt sorry for the folks who just checked in with their little kids. I can't imagine being cooped up in a condo with 3-4 children.

We went to Pier Park, the huge outdoor mall and did some souvenir shopping. Mostly we ate, and ate, and ate. One of the best breakfasts was at Another Broken Egg.

                 
We're headed home this afternoon, and I'm trying not to get emotional over having to leave the ocean. Oh well, back to reality...

No comments: