Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Between books...

INNER CITY BLUES went to my editor on Sunday! 


Since then I've been working on my "between books to do list". When I'm in the process of writing, I don't do much of anything else besides read and little bit and watch some TV at night.  That means the house only gets the minimum vacuuming and dusting. All of the craft/business articles I've printed out during the six months I'm in my writing cave are stacked up in piles in my office and on the dining room table along with everything else that needs to be filed. I also had to make up folders for the research I did on all of the Stafford brothers books.

So every day I'm spending time going through the piles and sorting out what I need to read and what I just need to file, and every afternoon I'll be reading the craft and business stuff. Getting organized always makes me feel good. The idea of starting a new book/series with everything in its place is wonderful.


My editor blocked out two weeks to do the book, and that means I have fourteen days or less to get everything done.

On the fun side, I'm reading a great book, ALWAYS AND FOREVER, by the queen of historical African-American romance, Beverly Jenkins. 
Yes, on the surface (front cover) it looks like a traditional historical romance, but the story is actually about 35 women traveling from Chicago to Kansas by wagon train in the late 1800's. They are going to become wives to men in a town founded by blacks where women are few. All the women have to base their choice on are sketches of the "grooms" and a description of what each man is looking for in a wife. Grace Atwood has personally interviewed each of the woman, chosen the ones she feels fit the descriptions sent by the men and those she feels are tough enough to make the trip. She organizes the wagon train and hires Jackson Blake to be their wagonmaster. The romance that unfolds is between Grace and Jackson, but all of the things that happen during the trip is what makes this book amazing. Ms. Jenkins, who always does detailed research into actual African-American history, did an incredible job on this story. I'm enjoying it immensely, and I thank God I'm living now. I wouldn't have made it back in the old days. 

As soon as I get the manuscript back from my editor, I'll do the revisions, format it for Kindle and Nook and then send it to the woman who formats it for Createspace. It still looks good for a release the first week of November. To all of the readers who've sent me Facebook messages or e-mails asking how long it will be before they meet Jesse, I say...

2 comments:

SHARYN GRAY said...

Can't wait to read Jessie's story. Hate to see this series end

Chicki Brown said...

Thanks, Sharyn. It's time for some new people. I've been with this family for almost three years. And I don't want to start creating cousins...