Sunday, June 4, 2017

Final sneak peek!

Born To Be Wild is coming back from my editor at the end of this week. As I promised, here is the last UNEDITED sneak peek into Tangie and Reese's story.


* * * * *


“I’ll see you Sunday afternoon. Hope you’ll take a ride with me before I take Karly out.”

The idea made me queasy. “Me? Oh, no. Motorcycles scare me.”

“Why? I know what I’m doing.”

“It doesn’t have anything to do with you. I don’t think they’re safe, and you’re basically sitting out in the middle of traffic with nothing to protect you. If somebody hits you, you’re road kill.”

He threw his head back and laughed showing off pretty white teeth. “Just because you’re in a cage doesn’t mean you’re protected. Maneuverability is more important. Guess I’m going to have to change your mind.”

Over my dead body which is probably what would happen if I got on the back of that beast with him.

Spence came out wearing a satisfied male smile. “You ready, Sledge?”

I gave him a curious frown.

“It’s my biker name, because my favorite tool when I do demolition is a sledgehammer. It helps me release my aggression.”

“Fascinating. What’s yours, Spence?” He glanced away, and I could’ve sworn he blushed beneath his chocolate skin.

“Wizard.”

“And the reason is?”

Spence pursed his lips and let Reese answer. “Because he’s been known to cast spells on women.”

Spence walked to the curb and mounted his impressive bike. “Is that so? Well, you two have a safe ride. Be careful.”

“Always,” Reese assured me. “Aren’t you walking back to your store?”

“Not right now.” I sent him a conspiratorial grin.

“Are you going to give me your address, or are we meeting at the restaurant?”

“I’m sorry.” I reached into my purse and wrote my home address on the back of one of my store business cards. Reese took it, gently chucked me under my chin, and then climbed onto Spence’s bike. I watched until he disappeared from my sight before I went back inside. Karly and Bree were sitting with their arms folded like two disapproving parents when I went back inside.

“All right, Tangie, what’s going on?” Karly asked

“What are you talking about?”

“You were looking at him like you didn’t even remember Johnnie’s name.”

“Johnnie who?”

“Oh, Tangie, you should be ashamed,” Karly chided me.

Bree tilted her head to the side. “You know it’s going to get back to him.”

That was true. I had no idea who else had seen me walking to the cafĂ© with Reese. In a town as small as Eufaula, gossip spread like wildfire. “I know you both like Johnnie, but we’re not married, or engaged or anything else that’s even semi-official.”

“You know he’s crazy about you, girl,” Bree insisted. “You don’t want to mess that up over some guy you don’t even know.”

“I only sat in a public place and had a sandwich with a stranger.” Probably the boldest thing I’d done in years. The store had sufficient receipts, and I was basically content, but living in a small town could be so boring. I needed some excitement in my life. “Is that against the law?”

Karly leaned forward and slid her chair closer. “And then you let him pay for it.”

Their inquisition started to upset me. “What is it with you two? You’re always encouraging me to step outside of my comfort zone. If you’re my friends, why are you so concerned about Johnnie?”

“Come on, Tangie, he’s the most eligible black man in town.”

“That’s not saying a whole lot.” Blacks made up about forty-four percent of Eufaula’s  population; the median income for a household was thirty-five thousand dollars, and the pickings were slim to say the least.

Karly’s husband had been listening and decided to join the conversation. “He owns his own business, and you two have known each other forever.”

I grunted. “Maybe that’s the problem, Sal. We’re so used to each other; he takes it for granted that I’ll always be there for him.”

“He’s big and sexy,” Bree added to the Johnnie Ellison praise chorus.

“Not as big or as sexy as what just left here, and you know I’m telling the truth.” I glared at the three of them. I didn’t owe Johnnie anything, and in all honesty, hearing about me having lunch with another man might put a fire under him. “I have to get back to the store.”


COMING IN JUNE TO KINDLE, NOOK AND PAPERBACK

No comments: